Tuesday, September 26, 2006

To the Classic City and back

Ahhh. A weekend in Athens. It's just what this boy needed. Almost 48 hours in my home town. With the people I care for most. A Georgia football game. It warms the soul.

But my weekend wasn't Athens alone. Friday was Family & Friends Day at the law school which meant Mom, Pops and my grandmother would all be in town for a while. With the clan arriving late on Thursday night, the obvious option was to take the 'rents out to Bar Review. It was a big hit... they loved the scene and the folks. Seeing Joe Gibson in a dark, smoky bar was a sight to behold. Trust me.

On Friday, the trio got to go to a mock class, sit in on a real class and get a good general feel for what law school is like. Even took them to lunch at Pancake Pantry, a Nashville institution. After all that jazz and the traditional Friday afternoon Blackacre, my mom and grandmother headed up to Indiana to see my sister while Pops and I drove back to Georgia. I dropped him off in Alpharetta late that night and headed out to Athens.

What can I say? Athens was just how I left it. People had often warned me that the first time I went back things would feel weird. I'd feel dated. I'd be out of place. I have no clue what they were talking about. It was like putting on an old pair of jeans on the first cool day of the year. They just feel right. Yup, that's Athens. The people, the scene, the football, all of the above. Well, the football game almost felt right. A one-point win over Colorado wasn't what I had in mind but hey, a W is a W. Capped the weekend off with Son's from about 2:00 'til 7:00 on Sunday afternoon with some of the most incredible people I've ever known in my life. It made for a late return to Nashville but it was quite worth it.

The week is off to a good start. Haven't done enough studying but that's okay. It's more fun that way. Tasty Torts, our co-ed softball team, got a big win today. Wrote a song for the first time in months tonight. K. Scott is coming into town on Thursday night. Things are shaping up nicely. Life is good, people... life is good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home